Front-End Software Engineer (React) - Mid level
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all startups it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 400 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans for 2019 but with Mr William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy, CTO Donovan Frew and a brilliant team of over 75 talented Goodlordians we're confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
About the team that drives our platform
We're a PropTech start-up about to go into Series C funding. We’ve created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack. We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you'll have daily exposure to.
The tech we use
The application comprises a PHP (7.3) app that communicates with a number of internal (Scala) and third party services via HTTP. Our UI is a mixture of jQuery and React (using Typescript) and we’re actively pushing to have everything in React.
The app and all services are deployed in Docker containers running in a Kubernetes cluster on AWS.
We use Github for version control and Circle CI for building, testing and deploying code to the staging and production environments. All data is persisted in a MYSQL (AWS Aurora) database.
About the role
Our mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and you'll play a key part in helping us achieve this by making sure our platforms is best in class.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
- Work with Product Managers, Designers, business stakeholders and other Engineers to understand end user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Address issues with the application user interface and interaction paradigms that prevent users from achieving their goals
- Expand our library of reusable components in order to ensure visual consistency and speed up development
- Continuously improve the code base to make it easier to understand and more fun to work with
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
What we need from you:
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Ability to write good, clean and well-tested ES6+ and/or Typescript code
- Experience working in an agile team with a delivery focus and a keen eye on what the customer needs.
- Any experience with the following would be a bonus: PHP, Functional Programming, Test automation, AWS, DevOps but we're also happy for you to learn these on the job.
Goodlord is for you if:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsman who strives to find the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be…
- Share our success: we know our success is a credit to our talented and hard-working team members so every Goodlordian has share options
- Be rewarded: we love people who stand up and deliver and set the pace and we reward people for this with performance related pay
- £1000 to learn: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord, but it there’s something specific, you’ll have £1000 a year to spend on what’s important to you
- Unlimited holiday: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- Remote working: being desk bound in the office is a thing of the past. We know people have different working styles, and we know it't important to have flexibility. So as long as you're standing up and delivering, you can work from wherever suits you
- Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- Keep active: Footy Friday's, weekly yoga, cycling, standing desks. Whatever you like to do to keep fit and healthy we've got you covered
- Quarterly team socials: a fun activity that everyone can take part in (if they want to!)
- Friday drinks: what better way to relax and get to know the team than over a few drinks? We'll see you at the bar!
- Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics. We know it’s cliche to say it’s all about the people, but we truly believe we have something special going on here at Goodlord