Back-End Engineer (PHP) - Mid level
Goodlord exists to make renting simple and transparent for everyone. Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve this mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack. We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback.
What you'll be up to:
- Work with Product Managers, business stakeholders and other Engineers to understand end user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Migrate legacy implementations of the code base to use more modern approaches
- Address issues raised within the application that prevent users from achieving their goals
- Identify bottlenecks in the development process and suggest/implement improvements
- Continuously improve the code base to make it easier to understand and more fun to work with
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
What’s our tech:
The application comprises a PHP (7.1) app that communicates with a number of internal (Scala) and third party services via HTTP. Our UI is a mixture of jQuery and React (using Typescript) and we’re actively pushing to have everything in React.
The app and all services are deployed in Docker containers running in a Kubernetes cluster on AWS.
We use Github for version control and Circle CI for building, testing and deploying code to the staging and production environments. All data is persisted in a MYSQL (AWS Aurora) database.
What we need from you:
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Demonstrable commercial experience in building complex web applications using Symfony (or similar PHP framework)
- Ability to write good, clean and well-tested code
- Experience working in an agile team with a delivery focus and a keen eye on what the customer needs.
- Any experience with the following would be a bonus: Typescript, React, Functional Programming, Test automation, AWS, DevOps. We're also happy for you to learn these on the job.
And Goodlord is for you if:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsman who strives to find the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be…
- Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- £1000 to learn: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord, but it there’s something specific, you’ll have £1000 a year to spend on what’s important to you.
- Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- Quarterly team socials; a fun activity that everyone can take part in (if they want to!)
- Prosecco on tap: what better way to relax and get to know the team than over a few drinks? The lovely team at WeWork provide drinks daily from 5pm. See you there!
- Four legged Goodlordians: we have a few resident pooches at Goodlord HQ who are always up for a walk / play if you need a break from your day
Bringing our whole selves to work is really important to us here at Goodlord - if there's anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application or email [email protected]